Below is how I voted in this week’s OC Top 10 poll.
1. Huntington Beach: Until someone can beat them, they’re at the top. Oilers are deep and talented at the positions they need to be. Best team in OC.
2. Orange Lutheran: Lancers offense took a big jump last week and they’ll look to maintain that this week at the NHSI in North Carolina.
3. Beckman: The Patriots are the best team no one is talking about. Big time matchup tomorrow against CdM will define a clear leader in the always tough Pacific Coast League.
4. Mission Viejo: The Diablos are as good as it gets and can compete with anybody. Tanner Bibee is a bona fide ace and the offense is hitting its stride in time for league play.
5. Servite: This week will tell us a lot about the Friars as they face off against JSerra. Coach Gilbert likes this team and he has good reason to…they’re good!
6. Foothill: The Knights are quietly putting together a good season. A minor hiccup last week against El Modena won’t be held against them.
7. JSerra: The Lions got a big sweep of Valencia last weekend and look to ride that momentum into their series with Servite. Early momentum in the Trinity League is always a good thing.
8. Mater Dei: The Monarchs lost a pair against El Toro last week, but it is my belief that this team is worthy of Top 10 status. Jonathan Schiffer is playing at a very high level for Coach Call.
9. El Dorado: Coach Matt Lucas has a lot of talent on this roster and it starts, for me, with Kyle Luckham who is getting it done on the mound and at the plate.
10. Sage Hill: Coach Dominic Campeau is one of the best coaches in OC. The Lightning are beginning to produce Division I talent (Connor Bock last year, Eddie Pelc this year) which may prompt a shift in divisions soon.