Below is how I voted for the Orange County Top 10 this week.
Before you lose your mind on me about putting Huntington Beach ahead of Orange Lutheran after the Lancers won the NHSI last week, keep in mind that the Oilers won the only head-to-head matchup these two have had. Additionally, Huntington Beach is still undefeated in play inside the state of California.
With that said, here’s my Top 10.
1. Huntington Beach: The Oilers went 2-2 last week at the NHSI as they couldn’t defend their title. The Oilers return to face off against Los Alamitos twice this week.
2. Orange Lutheran: The Lancers, fresh off their NHSI championship, get right back into Trinity League action against a streaking St. John Bosco team.
3. Mission Viejo: The Diablos are one of the best teams people aren’t talking a whole lot about outside of Tanner Bibee. Coach Aschbach has them primed for a deep run this season.
4. Servite: The Friars scored a huge series win against JSerra last week. Do it again this week against Mater Dei and they must be considered a league favorite along with OLu and Bosco.
5. Beckman: A tough loss to a good Woodbridge last week just goes to show the depth of the Pacific Coast League. A tough matchup with CdM awaits this week.
6. El Dorado: Coach Matt Lucas is quietly winning games with the Golden Hawks roster that has plenty of juniors you’ll hear a lot about soon.
7. Foothill: Coach Vince Brown continues to have the Knights in the Top 10 proving he’s one of the best coaches in Orange County.
8. Mater Dei: After losing two games in walk-off fashion last week, the Monarchs have a chance to make a big statement against Servite this week.
9. Sage Hill: Their winning streak ended at 40, but don’t think for a second that the Lightning can’t play with teams at higher levels.
10. El Toro: The Chargers appear to be headed in the right direction after beating Los Alamitos and splitting a double header with Cypress. This coming after beating Mater Dei in a double header the week before.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org